Wednesday, September 28, 2011

English as a lingua franca?

When I was in my teaching grammar class, my lecture asked us why IIUM or my beloved garden of knowledge and virtue is different from other university. She said that we use English as a medium of instruction and a medium of communication. Because at this university we use English as our medium of communication not like other university, they use English as their medium of instruction for example in their lectures, but here at IIUM, even the communication is in English, though as people like me when we saw people have their conversation in English it is such a weird situation (for those Malay who speak English with the slang) and sometimes it annoy me very much. 

According to an act in the university, if you want to conduct a program it should be bilingual, for example English and Malay, or English and Arabic. So there will be no program will be conducted in Malay only. And it come to my mind, is English has made as a lingua franca in IIUM? 

But bear in mind, we also use both English and Malay in our daily conversation. You may say he is your boyfriend, I rarely heard people say that he is my “kekasih”. It sounds weird and so cheesy. English has been made as the second language but sometimes we can see that English has been use widely in our country. Even the ministers use English as a medium of communication when they want to convey something to the citizen.

According to my lecture, even some of the formal matter or business with the bank, were conducted in English, the letter or the agreement were written in English (not sure about the fact, never had any business with the bank). For those who want to apply for the scholarship prepare yourself with simple English conversation. English has been a very vital language in Malaysia, so whether we like it or not, we need to master the language for our own benefit and future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment